Each month we have a volunteer on our leadership committee submit a blog post. Our goal is to model transparency in the real struggles and victories we too face in motherhood and in our personal lives.
Submitted by Emily McCants - Table Leader Coordinator
So, I have a two year old…enough said, right?! This little person who has been on this planet for only two years has quite the opinion about all of the stuff going on in his little world. Lately, figuring out how to discipline him has been super challenging. I keep thinking about what I can do that will be effective now and not scar him (not literally, people!) for the rest of his life. I want to do everything in the best way possible from the get-go so that I don’t have to fix anything later! (I’m a first born and quite the perfectionist.) We’ve tried time-out and popping his hand – both of which were effective for a few months until he grew to enjoy both of them. He would get upset when I wouldn’t pop his hand when he disobeyed. Either this kid is a real sicko and gets pleasure from punishment or he has an insanely deep need to see justice served even if it’s to himself! So weird. Over the last few weeks, I’ve read the love languages book for children and attended a workshop at church about disciplining toddlers, and I’m feeling somewhat refreshed and motivated to stay consistent and firm and surrounding everything with lots and lots of love. Anyway, I find that I easily wallow and drown in issues like this one when my relationship with God has been neglected. “Just as Jesus went to a “solitary place” to meet with his Father (Mark 1:35), so a disciple should daily pull away from the busyness of life for a quiet time, a personal rendezvous with the Lord and Savior.” This quote is from Discipleship Essentials by Greg Odgen. If we are trying to be like Jesus, then we need to follow His example. I think Jesus came away from his personal rendezvous’ with God feeling refreshed, strong, and ready to face anyone or thing that came His way that day. Maybe if we made time to go to that solitary place to meet with the Lord on a daily basis, then we’d walk away from there feeling that same way.
No comments:
Post a Comment