Each month we have a volunteer on our leadership committee submit a blog post. Our goal is to model transparency in the real struggles and victories we too face in motherhood and in our personal lives.
Submitted by Melissa Sell, Craft Co-Coordinator
Submitted by Melissa Sell, Craft Co-Coordinator
The title
of the book caught my attention immediately, Am I Messing Up my Kids? . . .
And Other Questions Every Mom Asks. It
had been one of those days (maybe weeks), and I was doubting my effectiveness
as a mom. Proverbs 31 Ministries was
using the book in their next online Bible study group, and I signed up
immediately.
One of the first devotionals that I received as part of
the study included the following paragraph:
“Have I messed y’all up? In the
way I’ve tried to raise you? In my day-to-day routines and my forever changing
attitude? With the way I’ve spoken to you? What you’ve witnessed of me? Have I
given you enough time? Enough love? Have I cooked decent meals? Cleaned your
clothes okay? Been there for you the way you needed? Did I help you with your
homework enough? Cheer loudly enough (or maybe too loud) at your events? Was
there more I needed to do and less I needed to say? Were you okay when I had to
go to work full-time? Did you realize that when you were hurt, I wanted so
badly to take the hurt away? Did I teach you about Jesus well? Do you see Jesus
in me? Do you have any idea how much I love being your mom, how proud I am
of you, and that I pray for you every day? Do you know that will never
change?” [Melissa Taylor, Proverbs 31
Ministries]
Like a snapshot of my thoughts, this paragraph captures
so many of the questions, fears and doubts that fill my mind as try to pour
myself into my family. What a relief to
find someone else who was identifying with my uncertainties!
To put it simply, this is one of the reasons why we do
JAM! How refreshing it is to walk this
stage of life with other women who understand its rewards and challenges. As we kick off a new year, we’re glad that
you are here. We hope that you find
opportunities to connect, to find encouragement and feel supported by the women
who surround you at JAM. Though it may
appear as though everyone else has it together, I know that what you see is not
always as it appears. Take the time to
be real, to share your “messing up my kids” moments. I suspect you’ll be surprised to see that
you’re not alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment