Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Leadership Blog: April 2014

Each month we have a volunteer on our leadership committee submit a blog post.  Our goal is to model transparency in the real struggles and victories we too face in motherhood and in our personal lives.

Submitted by Theresa Porter, Prayer and Hospitality

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven. (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

Well we made it! Time to put away those shovels, ice scrapers, snow blowers and winter coats and bring on the gardening tools, flowers, and trips to the park with the kiddies! I don’t know about you, but I wasn’t sure this winter would ever end. But alas, here we are… welcome sunshine!!

When I think of spring I think of all the cleaning I (should) do. Time to clean the windows, wash those rugs, clean out the garage, …ugh I’m tired already. But how about some spring cleaning in my life? Most importantly, in my marriage? Aside from the relationship we have with Jesus Christ, our relationship with our husband should be of utmost priority. But I’ll be the first to admit, I like to keep the house in order, get the laundry done, volunteer at the kids school, church, etc and by the time that’s all said and done, I’m exhausted. This can put a stressor on the relationship we have with our spouse; making him feel that he is not of importance and that our relationship is on the back burner.

After Michelle came and spoke with us about being a sexually confident wife, it made me think of some things….Ok a lot of things. J As she said, sex is to the man as talking and communication is to a woman. I never thought of it like that before. I felt challenged to examine my relationship with my husband. The one point that stuck with me was how hard I am to love. As women, we feel cherished and loved when our husbands tell us our we’re pretty/desirable, bring us flowers unexpectedly, spend time with us, buy us that piece of jewelry we’ve been eyeing up for months, and the list goes on and on. I’m sure asking a lot from my spouse.

According to Ephesians 5:25; Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her. That’s a huge responsibility to live up to. And in return, we are told to submit to our husbands. The word submission has been so distorted in the world’s views. I love how Jolene Engle put it in a recent blog I read. Submission is simply following your husband’s lead. It means you’re believing in him and supporting him in his endeavors and efforts. I love that! If I obey the Lord and give my husband the respect and honor he needs and submit to him, it will motivate him to love me better! A lot our needs as wives for feeling loved and cherished will happen naturally. I need to be my husband’s biggest fan and affirm my love for him! I need to be affectionate and let him know I still desire him, even when I’m exhausted and would rather go to bed.

Just a few thoughts I wanted to share with you all as God had laid them on my heart. Hope it encourages you too! Happy Spring my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment