Each month we have a volunteer on our leadership committee submit a
blog post. Our goal is to model transparency in the real struggles and
victories we too face in motherhood and in our personal lives.
Submitted by Melissa Sell: Creative Activities Co-Coordinator
I come from a long line of anal-retentive people. They possess all the tell-tale signs: Immaculate homes, spotless cars, and tidy work spaces. Real head cases, my relatives. One cannot grow up in such an environment without being influenced by it. Before I had children, I was proudly carrying-on my family legacy. Now, three chaotic girls later, my home would hardly hint of my spic-and-span past.
Though I feel like I’m constantly cleaning, I just cannot get a handle on the clutter. When I was sharing my frustrations with my co-crafter, Susanna, we both talked about how the pressures of maintaining our homes (or our sanity) often took precedence over spending quality time with our children. Though our hearts want our days to be filled with meaningful and memorable interactions with our children, we both admitted that we struggle to make this goal our priority.
This month, and in the months that follow, we wanted to challenge ourselves to be more intentional about the time we spend with our kids. We couldn’t help but wonder how many other moms might want to put down their toilet scrubbers and be intentional with their kids too. As we looked at the winter months, we wanted to start a JAM idea sharing session.Fun ideas, crafty ideas, Christmas spirit ideas . . . we want to hear them!
I’ll get us started with this: My girlfriend, Christina, is the mother of three children under the age of 7. For the last three years she has used the month of December to live out Jesus in what she calls R.A.C.K. (Random Acts of Christmas Kindness.)With some preparation, her family takes time each day to bless another individual, often strangers, in simple ways. I LOVE this idea, and plan to implement it this December. She was eager to share her efforts with us, and here are a few resources for you (be patient, the files may take a few moments to load):
I’ve often tried to remind myself that someday the windows (and the appliances, door frames, or mirrors) will not be spotted with little hand prints. Someday my girls would prefer to lounge in their rooms rather than dance joyously in my living room. Most importantly, someday my girls will prefer the company of others rather than mine. These are our most impressionable days with our children, and I want to make the most out of them. Will you join my venture? Post your ideas in the comments!
No comments:
Post a Comment